PS4 Cross-Game Chat Confirmed to Support 8 Players

As Sony’s ‘Perfect Day’ (11/15/13) nears, more facts are coming out about the PlayStation 4 before it’s highly anticipated launch day.

A recent comment by Sid Shuman, the manager of Social Media at Sony Computer Entertainment, on the very popular PlayStation Blog, confirms that the PlayStation 4 (PS4) will support up to 8 participants in a cross-game party chat. On a recent blog post for a Killzone: Shadow Fall Q&A, a PlayStation gamer in the comments section asked about Cross-game chat and the amount of people that can participants, and Shuman replied by saying, “Party Voice Chat will support up to 8 players on PS4, like PS Vita.” Cross-game chat is a highly desired capability, gives players the luxury of being in different games and still carry on a conversation.

PS4 gamers will be chatting it up across various games soon.

Many PlayStation 3 (PS3) fans have coveted the ability to cross-game chat, which unfortunately never showed up on the PS3. So this is especially great news for longtime PS3 owners upgrading to the PS4 early in its life cycle. Currently the only way to cross-game chat on PSN (PlayStation Network) is on the PS-Vita and only with other Vita owners. There is speculation that Sony will allow PS4 and Vita owners the ability to cross-game chat in the future as well.

Comments
  1. Hunty

10 / 21 / 2013 5:58 pm

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly Rated // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 36

• 10 / 22 / 2013 2:41 am

@Hunty I’ve both consoles and I’ve yet to see PSN be laggy. The Xbox in recent years has started to become “Laggy” especially the dashboard and the fact it drops on and offline a lot….

• Stump

10 / 22 / 2013 6:41 am

Has more truth to it then you might think. the mention of cross chat with Vita shows that the audio make-up of the chat will be no better then that of the Vita.

Main reason MS came out and discussed why there will be no chat across Xbox 360 is due to their upgrade audio scheme.

2. Golden

10 / 21 / 2013 6:41 pm

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly Rated // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 7

• 10 / 21 / 2013 7:07 pm

Well the question itself that he replied to in the comments section was this:

“My questions is. How many people can I have in My PSN/PS4 Party Chat Room at one time.. Either us all playing Killzone Shadow Fall or playing another title, watching a video, listening to music or just hanging out in our party chat room while we are all online? What Is the Max Number Allowed on PSN?”

So it looks like he was, in fact, talking about the PS4′s cross-game chat, unless Shuman misread, of course.

Well-Loved // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 2

3. 10 / 22 / 2013 12:48 am

Good stuff, great feature to have :).

4. Truth

10 / 22 / 2013 5:06 am

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly Rated // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 7

• matt671

10 / 22 / 2013 6:00 am

and yet XBL don’t do anything about the cheaters and hackers on there mm oh wait XBOX is just as bad

5. Game-Critic

10 / 22 / 2013 7:14 am

Yea Boi I just saw this on N4G and my boy Blumatt hit the comment section with some light that this won’t be behind the paywall of Plus. Awesome news today for PlayStation 4 and the hype just got bigger. Now I might spring for a day 1 console :)

6. 10 / 22 / 2013 7:36 am

Why do people say ” oh we’ll xbox one has 16 player x-game chat” please tell me when your gonna talk to 16 friends at once, do you understand how impossible that is, I don’t even wanna talk to more than 4 at once so anything over 6 is pretty pointless in my opinion, sure it’s cool that it’s there I just don’t think it’ll be used fully like that.

Well-Loved // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

• Game-Critic

10 / 23 / 2013 5:20 am

I know right. When was the last time you saw 16 people walking down the street all talking to each other in a orderly manner. They would most likely break up into groups of 4 to have any chance at a decent conversation. XBOTS are so dumb.

Shit there could be 6 guys doing the DLB podcast and you still have these guys tripping over each other cutting one another off and weird sound glitches happening (MikeDemo robot voice). Only thing I can think of that 16 player voice chat would come handy for is those silly red vs blue Halo vids Xbots love to watch so much.

7. Dirkster81

10 / 22 / 2013 10:05 am

Still not up to X-Box Live standards for cross-game chat. Depending on how the game was set up I could talk to all 16 players or just my team when I played games like Call of Duty or Battlefield 3. Oh well, it’s an improvement to be sure and welcome news. To some extent I suppose it doesn’t matter because you will hardly be talking to more than 8 people at a time I’m guessing.

8. Dan

10 / 24 / 2013 11:13 am

today ms confirmed 8 players chat aswell….

9. WARRIC

11 / 10 / 2013 11:07 am

Its The one thing that let the PS3 down last Gen, also it was the only thing the xbox fanboys used to chuck at the PS3 owners no cross game chat and party invites. Not anymore i wish Steam would introduce something like this for PC.I know they have third party systems but not dedicated Party chat system.

10. m3xic4n_843

11 / 15 / 2013 7:08 am

Hey dlb network fans its been years since I logged in here and glad that the site is still up. I hope I still see some familiar names around or if people even remember me haha.