* December ’08 was the biggest month for Xbox 360 in history
* Xbox 360 sold more consoles, games and online entertainment experiences in 2008 than any previous year
* In the all-important holiday quarter, Xbox 360 outsold PS3 by more than 2:1
Despite a decline in overall consumer spending during the holidays, video games continued to shine as a bright spot, with Xbox 360 registering record-setting numbers in December, selling 1.4 million consoles in the U.S. (December NPD data).
Hardware Sales for December 2008:
- DS – 3.04 million
- Wii – 2.15 million
- Xbox 360 – 1.44 million
- PSP – 1.02 million
- PS3 – 726K
- PS2 – 410K
We recently ran an article that warned readers against misinterpreting opinion as facts because apparently, only loud-mouthed fanboys get any sort of attention in the realm of so-called video game journalism.
The PlayStation 3 has lagged behind the competition in the previous years, at least in terms of hardware sales. To see if analysts believe 2009 would be any better for the PlayStation 3 EndSights contacted three premiere video game analysts to get their views on the issue. We asked them one, multi-leveled question.
Bethesda have also announced that the Operation Anchorage downloadable content for the Xbox 360 and PC is scheduled to release on Tuesday, January 27.
- Friends notification no longer causes the game to pause. (Playstation 3)
- Fixed occasional crashes during loading and waiting.
- Friendly or neutral NPC health bars, when taking damage, no longer flicker repeatedly.
- Fixed issue where certain NPCs would occasionally disappear from the game.
- Fixed issue where dead NPCs would occasionally come back to life.
More after the break
01. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCEI) – 206,954 / NEW
02. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix) – 176,385 / 666,000
03. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) – 144,179 / 876,000
04. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) – 140,934 / 920,000
05. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) – 105,225 / 547,000
06. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) – 84,515 / 1,445,000
07. [NDS] Phantasy Star Zero (SEGA) – 84,055 / NEW
08. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) – 78,653 / 2,231,000
09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) – 71,347 / 3,051,000
10. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) – 69,913 / 2,066,000
Socom’s trophy list has been unveiled, and you can see the list after the jump, but there is still no release date for the patch.
Despite an 18.8% drop in year to year PlayStation 3 sales in November, Sony Computer Entertainment America states early internal data puts them at a 130% increase over pre-holiday PS3 sales.
Last week’s charts here. Full top ten below:
- 1. FIFA 09 (EA)
- Call of Duty: World at War (Activision Blizzard)
- Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
- Need For Speed Undercover (EA)
- Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training (Nintendo)
- Wii Play (Nintendo)
- Quantum of Solace (Activision Blizzard)
- Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Nintendo)
- Tomb Raider Underworld (Eidos)
- Wii Fit (Nintendo)