Could The “Steam Box” Be The PS3/PS4?

There’s been rumors as of late about a possible Steam-powered console.  While this is certainly plausible, it makes one wonder whether or not there’s room in the console market for yet another console.

You might say, “But Valve has all kinds of good games they could put on it.”  And that is very true.  Many games come to mind when thinking of Valve: Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and Portal (2 is my favorite, btw).

While, those games are great, and there are tons of others on Steam, I do wonder if Valve might be going in a completely different direction than what fans are thinking.   Could their “Steam Box” simply be a Steam Client or store implemented into the PS3 or even the as-of-yet-unannounced PS4?

This would actually be a very smart move, and not so farfetched as it might seem.   Remember, guys, Portal 2 on PS3 has Steam Cloud saves and cross compatibility where you can play on one and go to the other one and pick right up.   So, the PS3 might be the “Steam Box” after all.   Or is it?…..

With all the rumors of the PS4 being more PC-like than ever and being powered by a very powerful AMD processor (and ditching the Cell), I wonder if the PS4 might be fully Steam-compatible right out of the box at launch (holiday 2013??  Please God….).

So, what do you guys think??   Will Steam really have its own dedicated console or will they partner with the gaming and electronics juggernaut that is Sony??   Let us know in the comments.

blumatt

I've been gaming since the early NES days. From there I had a Sega Genesis. Then my love for PlayStation began when I got my PS1. Next was PS2. And finally, PS3 now. Gaming is just one of many hobbies I enjoy, that include basketball, tennis, and four-wheeler riding.

Comments
  1. Killzone310

3 / 5 / 2012 9:36 pm

You forgot about Counter-Strike!!! From what I understood which wasn’t much it sounds like a great idea if they partner up with Sony. I think.

2. rico_fiasco

3 / 5 / 2012 9:43 pm

A partnership will be a win-win for both parties and really, its the only logical option that valve has. If they create a console, the market will become saturated and the console would not be successful.

• Killzone310

3 / 5 / 2012 10:55 pm

@ rico
      I don’t think they’ll do it, but it would be awesome if they did. Counter-Strike!!

3. The_Final_Heir

3 / 6 / 2012 7:32 am

I think the PS4 is set to dazzle. Placing steam on a console would be a major selling point. Let’s hope Sony really uses the time they have spent failing on the social components of the PS3 to rethink the way the gaming experience should be delivered to consumers.

• Killzone310

3 / 6 / 2012 1:02 pm

Woah!!! failing on the social components of the PS3? since when?

• The_Final_Heir

3 / 6 / 2012 11:09 pm

Well, I just mean that PSN needs better social features (reference the PS Vita). I feel very isolated at times from fellow players on PSN. No cross game chat, no form of messaging other than conventional text and no real social media connectivity ala Facebook or Twitter. I think that the PS4 can and will fix these shortcomings. PSN is an evolving service after all.

• Killzone310

3 / 7 / 2012 1:27 am

Dude have you not heard of PlayStation Home? And why does everyone want cross-game chat anyways? Why do you want to talk to Mr.Bob playing BF3, wouldn’t you rather talk to Mr.John play MW3 with you? Cross-game chat is distracting. Especially when Mr.Bob yells out “Enemy to the left!” and you’re all like “where, where!!” and then you loose your 13 killstreak because the enemy Mr.Bob called out was on BF3 not MW3.

• The_Final_Heir

3 / 7 / 2012 1:44 pm

No, but while you’re playing Dark Souls with no one, you might like to talk to Mr. Bob who is playing anything because it is unlikely that enemy to the left will cause you much trouble in DS. Private chat is awesome, social features that are FULLY INTEGRATED into my experience and not partitioned out into the nether realm that is Home is essential to many gamers i.e. why the vita has am lot of social features. Maybe failing is too strong a word, but lacking fits just fine to me. I don’t like the game selection on 360, I also don’t like that I have to pay to play online, but I do like the social features. Just my opinion, no offense meant, none taken.

• Killzone310

3 / 10 / 2012 1:04 am

When you’re playing a game like Dark Souls or Fallout you wanna be immersed you don’t need Mr.Bob reminding you that you’re not really a Veteran NCR Ranger.

4. gally

3 / 6 / 2012 12:03 pm

cant see it happening as sony has but so much work to but playstation as a major brand and with steam just jumping on board it wud b like giving away have its work but if they did do it ps4 wud win hands down just seems real messy tbh

• Killzone310

3 / 6 / 2012 1:14 pm

But imagine Counter-Strike on PlayStation. On a console. Wouldn’t that be amazing? No work is messy enough to get Counter-Strike on a console. Counter-Strike is the only thing that can take down Call of Duty. Counter-Strike!!!

5. DiPLoMaTiC_Wayz

3 / 7 / 2012 5:22 pm

This would be awesome. I have my fingers crossed.

6. Game-Critic

3 / 9 / 2012 9:19 am

This would be a smart move by SONY and I think it could be true. SONY has smarten up in the past years and they know they need as many friendly developers on their side next gen than ever and Valve is a leading dev house. M$ could stagger next gen if PS4 is Home to Steam……fucking get it done SONY :D

7. kedaro

1 / 13 / 2013 6:23 am

Definitely something someone should consider I much prefer Valve’s pricing system as it is.