Call of Duty Is Finally Dying, True Gamers Taking The Stage Again

If it’s one thing I absolutely hate about this generation of gaming, it’s the clear obsession to the Call of Duty franchise, blocking many gamers from actually taking any other viable games/franchises seriously and destroying everyone’s individual interest in a large variety of game genres now (something that was well valued last generation in gaming) Now it’s all about the first person shooter, and I’m so damn happy to see this horrible industry obsession going away, Call of Duty is finally dying!

I am completely guilty as anyone else is this generation, I buy Call of Duty because of the title, because I think it still holds the innovation and true dedication it once held back in the day, and of course, “all my friends are playing it” … What I’m not guilty of is the fact that I still buy and value so many different genres and titles out there, the single-player experience to me is still just as valuable (if not more valuable) than the multiplayer experience, I am someone who still values the roots of where games came from and understand those roots will more than likely always be so much more powerful than the typical multiplayer fad. I play everything and do everything and I’m proud of it (I have 21 platinum trophies just to prove it), I don’t know what type of gamer you’d call me, maybe “diverse”, or “true hardcore”, or yes, maybe even a “true gamer”.

And as a “true gamer,” someone that knows for a fact that Call of Duty and the First Person Shooter genre is NOT God’s gift to gamers and those games, supposedly, should be the only thing that should be valued and appreciated this generation, I have absolutely hated to see all people playing this generation is “Call of Duty” – and I hate even more that when I play something else other than that damn game, I get constant messages from friends on my friends list asking me “why aren’t you playing Call of Duty,” or ” that game you’re playing is complete crap” (event though they don’t know nothing about the game they’re trashing at all). Many gamers (especially my generation, the young adult  generation & even younger generations) are being led to believe that the only thing you should play is a First Person Shooter, it’s why a lot of these new IP’s or continuations of highly successful franchises in the PS2 days are doing so badly, because they simply aren’t Call of Duty.

This is why I was so happy to see some oh-so-sweet events unfold last year.

The first thing that happened while Call of Duty was readying up for it’s yearly release, a little game called Battlefield 3 took the industry by storm, and is now threatening Call of Duty. (A game that now has 1/3 the sales of Call of Duty and which has a margin that keeps narrowing, especially on a year by year basis in the future is something to look at). No other game franchise has come this close recently to Call of Duty, and is really something to look at, people are finally jumping to ALTERNATIVES.

Also last year,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 released, which many consumers basically stated felt nothing more than a large map-pack with a few tweaks, game modes,  and alterations. From Call of Duty 3 to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, there was major innovation, not to just the franchise, but the entire First Person Shooter genre, even MW2 had a ton of innovation, a perfected control scheme, new devices and tools, special ops mode, and a lot more, it was arguably a good sequel at that. The Call of Duty games that released after MW2 though, for obvious reasons, have started to decline, no innovation, no chances, and the big mistake of releasing the same formula EVERY SINGE YEAR. Call of Duty is the biggest disease, the biggest joke of a franchise that has been released this generation, and half of it is Activasion’s fault for destroying it so quickly, and the other half is the community’s overhype of the franchise and complete bashing of the rest of the video game industry is why this series is now failing… and thank God it is failing.

I feel there have been 3 true games that have redefined the First Person Shooter genre this generation, Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and now… Battlefield 3.

And I am so happy to see that, because even though this game is also a First Person Shooter, it will help to push Call of Duty back down and raise itself and all other genres back to light. Call of Duty is killing itself, and DICE made another masterpiece of a game, innovating the First Person Shooter industry at the right place at the right time, and what I hope is that Battlefield 3 won’t overpower the gaming industry like Call of Duty did, but push Call of Duty sales back down, equiling out sales of DICE’s game and Activision’s game, then they will compete and Activision will have to actually have to create innovation again if they want to survive in their genre, but I’m thinking Activision will never be just as successful with this game again no matter how hard they try.

Call of Duty’s decline is a great thing for gamers, they will finally start to look elsewhere, to other genres, and hold them at value, they will start to become “true gamers.” So I hope Call of Duty does fail personally, so people will finally stop being crafted into the “just FPS” attitude, so people wont message me to criticize a game I am playing in a different genre, so that we can get the true gamer attitude back into everyone, so that originality and difference will be valued and accepted again in the First Person Shooter industry and the gaming industry as a whole.

Yeah, I’m happy to see this mammoth dying, it’s about time.

BlindMango

I am a visually impaired tropical fruit with firm yellowish-red skin and a juicy pulp.

Comments
  1. 2 / 12 / 2012 2:16 pm

Great article mango totally agree cod is dead i didn’t even buy MW3.

• GameAnalyser.

2 / 13 / 2012 1:00 am

Well I tried to disgrace activision by playing the pirated version…never will a single penny go to them from me atleast…

• 2 / 13 / 2012 1:16 am

Yep great point why should we feel bad for taking there money when they rip us off……

2. 2 / 12 / 2012 3:37 pm

You know why I play COD? Because there are no alternatives. No other console game is as polished and smooth in the MP department.
    BF3 is great on PC, on consoles it suffers with choppy feeling and input lag.

• Joe mac

2 / 12 / 2012 4:30 pm

mw3 is a joke it looks so dated now like your playing a 4-5 year old game, utter wank

• usrev2

2 / 12 / 2012 8:42 pm

this gen vs last gen
      this gen
      I have 30 games, i’m bored
      last gen
      i have 5 games, what one should I play next?

on the original xbox you had a few games and were fine
      halo 1 and 2, battlefront 1 and 2 and Battlefield 2 modern combat and grand theft auto
      you would then rent random games, fable 1 was great. and there were others as well. but nothing compared to those 6 games. battlefront was a blast, and halo was the first great FPS on console and solidified the console dominance for the decade.
      GTA was unique and BF2MC was the best team based shooter you could play.

360 started great with rainbow 6 vegas, it was a blast online.
      but after that it faltered.
      halo 3 was a let down, and battlefield badcompany was great but it lost much of what made it great.
      COD4 replaced rainbow6 vegas as the game gamers played. but everything since then has been a band-aid to just get to the next release.. on the original xbox your game would be fun for a solid 4 months before you needed a new game, now games last hours instead of months. MW3 was boring in 26 hours.

even battlefield 3 was a disappointment, it is much better then COD5-29 or w.e number we are on but its still not even half as good as BF2MC.

I hope for star wars battlefront 3 and i just hope it lives up to the original

• ComptonEMT

2 / 13 / 2012 6:39 pm

one thing i disagree with you on… you’re only looking back to the original xbox… the one game that brought FPS into the console mainstream was actually on N64… goldeneye

3. shooter

2 / 12 / 2012 4:01 pm

You’re nothing but an ignorant idiotic COD hater. FYI, MW3 broke all records and that includes sales and online play. And until now, it is still numero uno in XBL. BF3 is dying just like its predecessor BF2 (check XBL list), heck there are more online players playing MW2 (yes, that’s 2) than BF3.

Bad for the indutry? the COD franchise actually lifts and helps a ton the industry because the industry is making more money? get the drift?

Until there is a better or even on par alternative to COD, it will continue to be on top. The BF series is a different genre in FPS. I’m still waiting for this to happen because when the time comes I can have more of the same

• ....

2 / 13 / 2012 5:35 am

Call of Duty is a double edged sword yea it generates lots of cash thats it’s pro but it’s inability or it;s reluctance to advance is an extremely bad thing, it’s becoming a cash cow and a poor one at that, Game development should be about innovation and creativity and that’s been lost under activisions foot. This series will decline, everything falls and you have to remember sales mean nothing just because justin beiber sells lots of records doesn’t make him one of the best singers on the planet.

Well-Loved // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

• 5 / 6 / 2013 6:06 pm

Your nothing but an ignorant BF3 hatter who probably spends a little to much time in his moms basement and is holding on to the past. I really dont know why people buy COD anymore maybe it just the name. But after MW2 the games got horrible the same thing over and over again with new modes and weapon skins. BF franchise is reinventing gaming with state of the art graphics and loads of action. This is why i think people should let COD die out so it will have to do something new to comeback and be great again.

4. 2 / 12 / 2012 4:05 pm

COD is failing?
    Everyone loves to hate COD but the numbers tell a different story.
    MW3 is STILL number 1 on XBL activity since it came out.
    Guess what number two is? Black Ops.
    Not to mention it sold 6.5 million copies THE FIRST DAY.
    But it’s failing????

• 2 / 12 / 2012 4:09 pm

Maybe you should read all the article he talks about why he thinks it is ;) it’s not about mw3 its about call of duty as a franchise he never said mw3 and previous games failed he is talking about the future.

• Frank

2 / 12 / 2012 4:18 pm

Taken from the article:” The first thing that happened while Call of Duty was readying up for it’s yearly release, a little game called Battlefield 3 took the industry by storm, and is now threatening Call of Duty.”
        False
        So why is it failing? Maybe this excerpt will say it better: “Also last year,Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 released, which many consumers basically stated felt nothing more than a large map-pack with a few tweaks, game modes, and alterations.”
        It’s failing because of people complaining on the internet?

Another excerpt: “Call of Duty’s decline is a great thing for gamers, they will finally start to look elsewhere, to other genres, and hold them at value, they will start to become “true gamers.” ”
        Where is proof of it’s decline besides articles like this?

This article says it’s a dying franchise with no proof except a bunch of internet complaints about it being a re-hashed MW2.
        The franchise is far far far away from a decline. Wait until the end of this year when the new one comes out and breaks yet another record.

• Herren

1 / 3 / 2013 11:49 am

Sales mean nothing this series is dead it’s one of the most traded in FPS games all that sales means is that it is a cash cow nothing more

5. 2 / 12 / 2012 4:12 pm

LOL
    BF3 never even toppled black ops from the number 2 spot.
    It’s beating MW2 right now though, but it’s still behind skyrim and fifa.

The only real alternative to COD will probably be coming from respawn entertainment.

Unless of course your playing on PC. But COD rules the consoles no doubt, no other game is as responsive.
    In fact they did a test and found BF3 takes TWICE the amount of time to register controller actions on the xbox. (Roughly 50ms vs 100ms)
    Believe it or not it makes a big difference in the feel of the game.

Now I’m not trying to start a BF3 vs COD thing here, but BF3 gave me hope, it really did. It’s just not fast enough.

• ContraCadet

5 / 27 / 2012 10:11 am

You just suck at BF3. Saying that “the movements are registered twice as slow” is just a excuse for you sucking at BF3. COD has made people believe that they are good at games by holding their hand throughout the gameplay by making the guns have no recoil and the a tremendous amount of aim assist. The only game you can manage to kill people in is COD, not because you are good, but the game is tailored for crappy players like you. Get better and stop blaming the game you crappy noob. BF3 is for people who don’t need no wimpy noob mechanic assists.

• giz

8 / 9 / 2013 2:44 pm

BF3 isn’t supposed to be fast paced like cod.
      It was designed to promote teamplay and realistic cover / shooting mechanisms.
      Cod is more of an arcade “run and gun” game where you play solely for KD.

You also die way to quickly on COD, if someone see you out in the open youre basically dead, on BF3 you have a hope of dashing to cover or having a teammate revive you,

6. Tom

2 / 12 / 2012 4:37 pm

I’m a COD vet on PS3, I’ve been massively hooked on the COD games since MW1, and have invested hours, days and months into the multiplayer of those games. I remember the first time I played the multiplayer years ago, I thought to myself, my god this was the most addictive thing in my entire life. I’m really good at the games now, my KDR has gone from 1.7 in MW1 to 2.5 in MW3.

I still absolutely love it, but have to admit that after 4 years the love is starting to fade, and one of the reasons is Battlefield 3. Initally it was flirtation, now it is full drawn affair. I now split my multiplayer gaming now equally between COD and BF3.

What I love about BF3 is the graphics, the sprawling maps, the precise gunplay, and the vehicles. I was initially really rubbish at the helicopters, but now i’ve mastered it, that was incredibly rewarding. I’m still rubbish at the jets though, but my KDR is a decent 2.2.

COD needs to raise it’s game in the next iteration, it needs a new graphics engine like Frostbite2.

7. rico_fiasco

2 / 12 / 2012 4:44 pm

I’m gonna be real. I only bought COD:MW3 because most people I know are die hard fans of the game. But just because I bought the game, it doesn’t mean that i like it or think its the best thing since sliced bread. When judging weather a game is good or not, I judge it by the quality of the game, how enticing the storyline is, what all multiplayer has to offer, what single player has to offer, and several other things. Never will I decide if a game is good or not based on sales alone. Sales mean absolutely nothing to me. In fact, KZ2 didn’t sell that well on the PS3 but it sure was a damn good game, Probably one of the best games I’ve ever played right after RFOM, Gears of war 3, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Metal Gear Solid 4 and NFS: Hot Pursuit, Heavy Rain and several others.

I feel that Call of Duty has tainted the entire gaming industry by making it seem like if a game isn’t a FPS and doest have COD in the front of it, then it’s not worth playing. Gamers need to start exploring different genres and titles.

well thats just my 2 cents

8. 2 / 12 / 2012 5:55 pm

It’s good to see the comments section coming back to the old days of popularity. I’m sure some of this is due to the fact this story is super HOT on N4G right now. haha

Good article, Blingo. CoD is a tired franchise now. It’s the same old crap, made over again with new maps, and then you get to buy more maps for $15, which is way too high. I’ll be glad when some other game takes its place, sales-wise, one that deserves the sales because it’s actually a quality game.

9. Rich V

2 / 12 / 2012 5:55 pm

I tried BF2 and hated it, then like an idiot tried BF3 thinking maybe it would be better, hated it. Ive played every COD title and loved every one. The problem with BF is the maps are too huge, you can run around for 5 minutes and not see 1 enemy! COD is fast paced, has maps that range from small to medium, and I think that the new gun customization on MW3 is awesome. I think that people who suck at COD love BF because they are less skilled.

• kain

2 / 12 / 2012 11:53 pm

try and play team deathmatch on batlefield 3 its just as good as cod if you are tired of conquest and rush that will change your mind and olso if you have a pc battlefield is the best option.Cod is good for xbox live only it replaced halo and thats it to me.Bf3 ftw!!!! it rules. cod really has terible graphics and i agree it could have been released as a map pack lolol

• Triggar

2 / 13 / 2012 9:25 am

Don’t compare CoD innovation to games like Assassin’s Creed and Mass Effect. CoD is basically a strictly multiplayer game. Comparing that to a Mass Effect game is like comparing Michael Jordan to Wayne Gretzky. Doesn’t really work in a lot of ways. If you complain BF3 maps are too big, you can’t find anyone, it’s your fault and not the games. Learn the mechanics. Join Squads and spawn on your squadmates, or in the active control points, USE THE VEHICLES. You guys complaining about this would be the equivalent of someone who doesn’t know how to play COD whining about how to climb out a window.

I think it’s interesting to point out that because of the lack of innovation, COD is actually in competition with itself.. People keep quoting how CODBLOPS is #2 on Xbox and MW2 is also high on the list. I wouldn’t say the franchise is failing, but it’s definitely at a turning point. If they are competeing against their own titles then that’s basically profit lost.

In regards to things like BF3 has double the input lag and no split screen and blah blah blah. Well, let’s be clear here, BF3 isn’t really a PS3/XBOX360 game. What I mean by that is that the software is really meant for the next gen. The current console generation can’t handle it, hence the vast downgrades in things like fps and player size; they even shaved some lines off 720p.. Having the console even think about doing anything in split screen for BF3 and it would have a nuclear meltdown.. Obviously COD would be super smooth since it’s essentially the same game every year.

To me COD is kind of like an iOS game. It gives you that immediate thrill. This isn’t a bad thing at all. My issue with the franchise is that it’s overpriced and the fans seem to be incredibly close-minded and any valid arugment they seem to take personally.

As for the True Gamer bit, I think that’s a bit off. I’d consider us Old School Gamers. Someone who plays COD 10hrs a day 7 days a week is easily a True Gamer in my book. I wouldn’t say our way of gaming, where we play almost every genre, is any more true or better than someone who plays one game but plays it religiously… To each his own.

• ContraCadet

5 / 27 / 2012 10:26 am

It is cuz you suck at BF games. COD is the game to go for crappy players who can’t handle a game that requires skill, patience, and perseverance.

10. Will

2 / 12 / 2012 6:14 pm

@ Rich V-Sklills are not required to be good at COD, & it’s unbelievable you’re complaining that the maps are too big in BF3, isn’t that was supposed to be like in a real battlefield…. 6 year old kids & young girls plays COD like nothing, so no, it isn’t more skillful than BF3!!!!

11. Ben

2 / 12 / 2012 6:34 pm

And finally we witness the death of gamer journalism. You call your self a true gamer, and you bash call of duty BUT YOU ADMIT TO BUYING IT! What the fuck? just stop buying it. And sir Battlefield did not innovate in any way possible, The campaign sucked, the multiplayer was the exact same as any other Battlefield game all packaged in fancier clothes. Like Call of duty. Want some real FPS games that really innovated this generation? Bioshock, Portal, Deus Ex, and Left 4 Dead.

12. Alex89

2 / 12 / 2012 6:40 pm

A “true gamer” would realise people are entitled to play and enjoy whatever appeals to them, instead of demonising someone over their own personal preferences.

Try getting over your self-righteousness and realise that ‘true gamers’ play the games they enjoy, whether it be CoD or not. Liking a particular series does not making you any more or less of a gamer.

Grow up.

• ContraCadet

5 / 27 / 2012 10:28 am

Your inexperienced opinion means shit. True gamers are people who play ALL types of games, not just COD. Saying otherwise would be a insult to the true gamers.

13. 2 / 12 / 2012 6:49 pm

I did buy Call of Duty, I clearly state that in the article. What I call a “true gamer” or whatever you want it to be called, is someone who values and loves a wide array of game genres and titles, and doesn’t feel that they’re bound by one specific title, with the thought that any other game out there is not good. It just happens that many of those people play the Call of Duty series, a percentage of the gamers who play Call of Duty think that no other game compares – obviously not all of them.

Definitely game how you want to also, but there is a problem with the mentality of playing one title and deeming everything else a bad game, those are the people I’m talking about.

14. 2 / 12 / 2012 7:31 pm

On a side note, this article was terribly written. It’s hard to take what you say seriously with all the gramatical mistakes and terrible choice of wording. Take the time to edit your work before you publish it, or send it to the editing team of DLB if you guys have one.

• 2 / 12 / 2012 7:43 pm

Your website isn’t much better than I am with grammar either. I don’t have a degree in the English language, but I know for a fact my grammar is definitely acceptable, not perfect, but it’s actually readable, unlike many articles I read on the Internet.

• 2 / 13 / 2012 6:09 pm

Sorry mate, but HookedGamers has got you beat in both the news and editorial departments.

• 2 / 13 / 2012 7:29 pm

It definitely doesn’t have me beat in professionalism, why do gaming websites have to wage war on each-other instead of showing constructive criticism if you’re not pleased with something, why can’t gaming website just make friends instead of going on another website, trashing another fellow journalist, then having the audacity of linking to your gaming website after trashing another website.

I have high hopes that both our websites won’t be on some immature brawl off of obvious stupid reasons… The reason why you are probably on Hooked Gamers is because you want to do something different than how this website may do it and I can respect that, as long as you can respect how we do things here, even if you may disagree with some things.

• 2 / 14 / 2012 6:38 pm

I didn’t actually link my website, I just put it in the homepage section in the comment box O___o
        But other than that, you just earned major respect points.
        Couldn’t agree more with you about the whole website vs website topic (hell, that might make a good article) you just fiddled my nerves a bit when you said we weren’t much better with grammer, but I got over it. Still its true that sites like ours shouldn’t be pitted against each other, I suppose it’s just the competitive nature of the industry I suupose. No one should ever be discouraged to do what they love, especially if its writting about video games. Those people also have a right to publish it on the internet, and if it’s not perfect at first oh well, so long as they always strive to improve. I know that back when I worked at HookedGamers, when I first started I was a terrible writter. It took one of our editors 3 hours to edit one of my first game reviews. My true advice to you is to improve your english skills and if DLB has an editing team, send your work to them first for review. If they don’t have one, suggest it. The majority of the staff at HookedGamers is foreign, from countries like Finland, Australia, Russia, France, and Britain, and now their writing skills are exemplary. Good luck, from one journalist to another.

15. WhoDat?

2 / 12 / 2012 7:33 pm

Well Mango, I for one feel the same as you do. I remember clearly when the beta for COD4 was released, I calmly went to the website and registered for the beta demo. No website crashes, no time out errors, nothing, NOBODY cared.
    I knew from the trailer in 2007 that the game looked amazing but when I played the beta from that FIRST second, I knew it was something special. Mainly because of the same reason you mentioned in your post; COD4 “redefined the First Person Shooter genre”. Single and Multi were ahead of its time.
    It was a long wait from the beta end date to the retail release of the game and wow when it was released, I played the heck out of that game.
    Now some 5 years later (almost) and 4 games it feels like I am playing the game over and over and over (rinse and repeat).
    MW3 is now the first COD game I have not purchased (I have rented it 2 times) and most likely will not buy the game. I have nothing against the COD franchise but I do agree the luster is fading. If there was a beta for the new game, I am sure it would crash the servers for the droves of people rushing to get it, but I will not be participating until I hear those magic words; “dude this game will blow your mind” type of responses from reviewers.
    There was nothing like COD4 when it arrived. Unfortunately, there has been 4 copies of COD4 since then. If you want to level the same complaint against BF3 I guess I would agree, but at least they tried to give us something new with a new engine.
    Something, anything! to change it up would be good. Activision reminds me of a downhill runner that can t stop his momentum. Yes, COD is now hitting the same area that Halo has had to deal with. COD is not going any where as long as there is money to be made. But, its astronomical sales figures will not continue no matter what people say…

16. insurgencymusic

2 / 12 / 2012 7:46 pm

i agree that we need something new. but whos fault is it? it’s the gamers fault, it’s the developers fault. And i dont mean IW or activision. Im talking about Ubisoft and even EA. They Even battlefield 3 sucked. MW3 is still the best shooter out. Where are the games? that’s the real question. But it’s ok because i feel that its the calm before the storm right now. The transition to next gen.

• insurgencymusic

2 / 12 / 2012 7:52 pm

sorry i meant it’s NOT the gamers fault. it’s all the developers out there putting out the shitty games.

17. noname

2 / 12 / 2012 8:30 pm

Call of duty games sell well, specially on x360, because it’s a simple game, that don’t require a high IQ, or mastering a language, thinking, analyzing, etc. All you need is select your weapons, join the game, and shot everywhere and everybody. It’s perfect for 70% of total xbox owners, between 10 and 14 years old. That’s why xbox sells well in USA. Now, take these 40 million kids, and and make them play a little big Planet game: too complicated. Heavy rain: they need to think, too complicated. Killzone 3: too realistic for them, too slow.
    Really,all those kids need is a game like call of duty, so they can play it for 8 hours a day, with friends. Anyway, except mass effect, halo, foram,fable, crackdown, there isn’t a lot of good content, for regular xbox gamers. Therefore, every halo or cod game is like rain falling in a desert. Drink as much as you can, and the rest of the year will be drought.

It’s really a pity these kids don’t even care about other games and genres. We could have much more games from studios, great new ips, instead, studios have to make their games look and feel like cod games, every innovation used may cost them a “sales less than 1 milion”.

I’m really happy Sony exists, and even if great games, like resistance 3 sell only 1 million, at least, gamers can be choose among dozens of genres and games, decorations and studios keep making sequels, that get better, for example, infamous 1 and 2.

Really, it’s stupid to spend all the gaming time in one single game, even if it gives you a lot of pleasure. One day, all those kids, when they grow up a little, they’re gonna hate themselves, saying ‘wow, how could I be that stupid, to spend 6 years playing the same game? How could I miss that God of war 3,or those uncharted games, or little big Planet? I could have had soooo much fun, playing and discovering dozens of genres, and hundreds of incredible good games, but instead, all I did was shouting at my friends, via the xbox mic, saying fuck you every 6 seconds, and pressing right button 1, for ‘pew pew’. Really, how stupid I was”

OK, daddy bought 5 xbox 360, because they would die every 6 months, so it was cool. But now, and I have a job, I grew up a little, I will pick a ps3, will buy all those incredible platinum games, like motorstorm, uncharted, Killzone, etc etc etc, for a few bucks, and will spend hundreds of hours playing on a great and reliable system, where the manufacturer don’t make me pay for online gaming, and strive to get the best content as possible, from their 1st and 3rd party studios, instead of only buying exclusive content, for games like cod, gta, so people keep buying the games for the xbox. After selling a flawed console, with bad components that made all the rrod, after making people pay for online gaming, which people keep saying live is better, because they pay for it, or, they mean, daddy pays, Microsoft don’t make new ips, absolutely don’t care about their customers, since all they care is securing exclusive content, so the millions of kids that play cod online keep paying 60 bucks a year, times 10 million cod players = 600 millions cash. Why would they care about making great new games, for xbox customers? When all they need, to sell consoles is : halo, forza, gears and cod games, some new exclusive maps for cod, and that’s all folks. this is enough to microsoft, to drive sales and make people buy gold subscriptions. No need to make new ips, new studios, nothing. So much disrespect, it’s unbelievable. And all these kids(or older.. ) still hate Sony and ps3 games, and go to news4gamers ps3 channels, whenever they’re not playing one of the few available games on their xbox, and just disagree with every comment regarding Sony and ps3. They go there ONLY for that purpose, nothing else.

But the worst thing for, is when these kids grow up, with all that love for xbox, and all the extreme hate we all know, and start writing articles and reviewing games. Like that, we can then read reviews where all the xbox games always get at least a 9,even if there is 300 faults in the game, and then, like pure magic, ps3 games get 6 and 7,specially if they’re exclusives.

For example, the great game Zack Zero, that came out a few weeks ago. I loved the game, incredible graphics, effects, particles, music is great, besides a couple of minor flaws, the game is really enjoyable, fun, well done, and got many good reviews, with a lot of 8′s.
    BUT, since it’s a ps3 exclusive, and many websites hate Sony and the ps3, and do the best they can to make the game look like a piece of shit, I was really interested to read Ign’s review. We all know they love Microsoft and the cash they must get from them, and we all know that 2 games, 1000% identical, the xbox version of the game will always get a better score.
    So I went to ign, started reading the review, and at the end, ign criticized some ‘invisible wqlls’, ça and some platforms being hard to know if we can jump on them or not. I remind you, the game is great, graphics are amazing, the 700 mb from PSN have much better graphics and effects than many boxed games, and the game got many great scores, from many websites, therefore a game that gets many 7 and 8 can’t be that bad.
    Well, ign gave it a 4, with the final comments : “avoid it”.
    All this, because they love their xbox, and want the Sony brand to fail. Killing good ps3 exclusives like this example, with a 4/10, quel really means beside their natural hate against Sony brand, they must get extra cash, from someone, to give crappy scores to ps3 exclusives.
    Really, if 1000 ps3 owners read that 4/10 review, how many do you think will buy the game? Yeah, not many….
    Thanks, websites like ign, for making 3rd party Sony studios close, with your ‘fair’, ‘professional’ and ‘unbiased’ reviews.

Dlb moderators, please don’t delete this post, I’ve spent 2 hours typing with my 4″ phone, I can’t post this kind of comments on n4g, xbox mods there take 2 bubbles per thread, because and anytime someone dare saying something ‘bad’ :the truth, about xbox or Microsoft.
    Thanks

• 2 / 12 / 2012 8:42 pm

Wow, we definitely wont delete it, we love when our community posts very long, thoughtful comments like this – especially on a phone! haha.

18. noname

2 / 12 / 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks man.
    Listen, as you can see, I really like playing games on my ps3, and soon, on vita.
    I hate all the hate against Sony, and spent countless hours on n4g, trying to talk to people, that looked more like a wall, that would do some mass disagrees, because, well, I would talk about Sony, or would defend this or blame/criticize that. It’s a waste of time, for ps3 owners, to post there, since 80% of the people there must be under 15,don’t work, and get everything free, with daddy’s wallet. They will always disagree, no matter what we say. Example, saying it’s not correct to have to pay for live gold, even if all you do is joining a multiplayer session, on the game you paid full price, will give me many disagrees, and the bubbles will fly away. Incredibly frustrating.

I’ve been checking this website, and it pleases me alot. If I could be ‘sure’ I won’t be attacked or ‘debubbled’ or punished,etc, because,for example, I said something or praised/criticized a game or a system or a feature, of course, without offending people, I would be proud to join in and make my keyboard burn with my short comments.

Anyway, thanks for keeping my comment above :)

• 2 / 12 / 2012 9:30 pm

We treat every console fairly here, all the admins know all three consoles are great with their own up’s and downs and NEVER delete comments of people simply stating their opinion on anything, it’s outrageous to think anyone would! Lol, and there are some people you just cannot convince that another console is possibly good, but at least the “console wars” aren’t as bad as they were 4-5 years ago.

• 2 / 12 / 2012 9:36 pm

Yeah, buddy, we’ll treat you right here at the DLB Network. N4G is a joke nowadays.

19. 2 / 12 / 2012 9:30 pm

I just hope that as these people that used to only play Call of Duty games move on to other things, that the industry doesn’t begin to shift even further into the noob mentality it’s been in lately. I’m sick of games being simplified to appeal to a “wider” audience.

20. Puk

2 / 12 / 2012 9:32 pm

HAHA!!
    twisted metal DEMO is better than the COD series fuk da haters!! lil ass kids/ XBL no exclusive box is keepin COD alive!

21. 2 / 12 / 2012 10:24 pm

Hey @Blindmango! I just read your article and every single comment on here and I must say……………………………………………………………………………………………………thats the best damn article Ive read in a long time! You did a great job speaking EXACTLY what Ive preached to everyone I know to this day! But the one thing I hope is that Sony never changes their model of development and move to Microsoft’s “drought” strategy to make a dollar. Because unlike most COD players, I do like to see innovation in my gaming and right now Sony is the only one with anything on the table. And to the a-hole who said dont buy it if you dont like it, your the closed minded COD head the articles about lol. But you prolly didnt catch that either…………………………………NEW MAPS AND GUNS DLC!!! YAAAAAAY TO INNOVATION…………………………………………..

22. 2 / 12 / 2012 10:47 pm

I stopped buying COD after MW2 because I felt that I was wasting money for the same game over again. I do remember the last gens playing different games whether it be RPG, Racing, FPS, or fighting games. Those are the people I call hardcore gamers.

Now in this generation it depleted the whole gaming community for the simple fact people are out of practice with anything other than COD. Even than most people on COD are terrible and have no strategy what so ever.

I’m glad I stopped playing call of duty. IT’S BORING!

23. 2 / 12 / 2012 11:57 pm

Call of duty will always have legs they just need to change it up a little bit.

But I for one and tried of all of these FPS not just COD

24. syson

2 / 13 / 2012 12:38 am

agreed cod series is dying mw3 isboring its just the S.S.D.D but getting platinum trophies does not mean your a true gamer you can still be a true gamer without getting the platinum trophies

25. JellyWhacker

2 / 13 / 2012 3:47 am

You state that your a true gamer (or so called), and that you enjoy single player to multiplayer, then you state that your friends are trying to get you to go onto CoD? I am not going to back Call of Duty, but it seems like you’re making a big deal out of nothing, if YOU as a gamer want to try other games and single players then go play them. There is nothing stopping you, make your own decision on games, if you have people asking you to play or telling you a game is shit, then go and state your POV or delete them as a friend. Stop crying imo.

26. Falioc

2 / 13 / 2012 4:48 am

Yes sir

27. Anonymousanyway

2 / 13 / 2012 4:49 am

get off your high horse and delete your immature friends. i dont like call of duty either but this article is you kissing your own ass about how you are a “true gamer” and noone else is.

28. Johnson

2 / 13 / 2012 5:24 am

There are many things that the console version of the last 3 Call of duty games have had over the console versions of Battlefield. For example, solid splitscreen experience and what I think is most important short games, yet full of action.

I’m not saying COD is better than Battlefield, but for shorter gaming sessions or when you have friends over, I absolutely preder cod on my console. When I’m alone and have a few hours to spare I’ll pick Battlefield on my pc though.

Call of duty is also incredibly polished (obviously, since Acti has more than enough cash) Battlefield is unfortunately a bit rough around some corners.

They’re both good in their own ways and different enough to both be worth playing.

29. Doesn't_Matter

2 / 13 / 2012 5:37 am

Is it just me or in any article/comment that say that the Call of Duty franchise is not that good is always met with the same responses.
    There’s either “WTF Call of Duty has sold over a bajillion copies/it’s the most played game on XBL” or “your just hating on Call of Duty/stop crying”. I have never heard any good reason to why Call of Duty games are so good, there are some drones that say “it’s innovative” or “it’s fast paced”, ok CoD4 was innovative I’ll give then that much but the Unreal and Quake having been doing fast paced gameplay before Call of Duty was Call of Duty.

Back to topic , I do believe that the Call of Duty franchise is beginning to signs of fatigue and it’s all a matter of time before it falls, just like all the previous big titles from previous generations.

As someone once said, “If you make a god bleed, then the sharks will come”

30. bball230

2 / 13 / 2012 5:39 am

Great Post Blingo :) Its very impressive what you’ve done. Keep up the good work!

31. dakan45

2 / 13 / 2012 6:07 am

Are you stupid? Call of duty is one the rise, it has 3 times more sales than your shittyfield 3 and a new one is coming.

“true gamers” From bf3, cod is more for “true gamers” Cod does not have shitty hit delay because of the same fucking terrible netcode that existed in bf since the very first one in 1942. Even medal of honor had it, dice fix your shitty netcode that makes the game to take luck rather skill.

Also its no more or less recycled and lacks innovation than most franchises outhere, eg the last 3 assasin creed games, or killzone 2.5 or dead space 1.5 or the stalker games or the upcoming mass effect 2.5

I doubt most of you idiotic cod haters even now what “innovation” is because bf3 has NONE, what is new in bf3 anyway? Dont say jets, it only proves how new you are in bf games.

32. Confused

2 / 13 / 2012 6:09 am

So why exactly is COD dying?
    The title of this article is pretty misleading.
    You say “Call of Duty is finally dying” in the title.
    Yet it’s still number 1 and 2 on XBL activiy.
    Do you think it’s failing because of people complaining on the internet? It’s funny, there is a minority on the internet that happens to be very vocal. The statistics don’t lie, they are still going strong.

33. 2 / 13 / 2012 6:44 am

I’m a COD played, have been since COD 2( not MW2, COD 2 ) and to this date MW1 is my favorite COD game ( if not game ) for online multiplayer when it comes to consoles!

Basically i’m not gonna preach the greatness of MW3 ( or COD for that matter) but the bottom line is, is that the game is good to kill some time. Come home after work/college/school, dont want to spend the night getting lost in a game like Oblivion/Mass effect? Sit down throw on COD for an hour, blow some S**t up with your friends and turn it off. That’s what I find it good for. Sure its the same as the last 4 games ( more or less ) and its not as in dept or open world as BF3 but that’s not what most people want at the end of the day. Just a game where you can sit down and play with your friends for a bit!!

As for “true gamers”, most of my friends play more or less everything, From JRPGs to RTSs ( although they suck so hard on consoles ) but will play Mw3 between releases. I myself am replaying Oblivion at the moment but will put that down to play COD with some friends cause its quick and easy.

Bottom line I have no doubt that most of the people who have bashed COD above either have played the game until recently and only just stopped but claim to have hated it for years, are currently playing it and want to seem cool by saying they don’t, or are PC gamers ( cause COD is gay on PCs haha)

34. Proflight

2 / 13 / 2012 7:17 am

What is a gamer? There is no definition to the word. Everyone has their own. So don’t call yourself a true gamer unless you fit the criteria of every definition. Also, don’t put all of the blame of the gaming industry revealing itself as more of an INDUSTRY on Call of Duty.

35. John

2 / 13 / 2012 7:30 am

Is this a joke lmfao bf3 hahahaha mw3 still #1 played Xbox live and psn game dying my ass. Bahahahaha Maybe you have brain damage but never does bf3 have more people on then cod. And with black ops 2 bringing a new engine cod will be the number one selling game again bf ain’t beating cod so keep dreaming you retard.

36. John

2 / 13 / 2012 7:38 am

Sorry I have to cOmment again cause this article should be removed all I have to say is
    Mw3 #1 most played online game
    Black ops #2 most played online game
    BF3 #3 most played online game so tell me how cod is dying and bf taking over lmfao your straight retarded.

37. Gabeusmc19

2 / 13 / 2012 7:48 am

the problem with that theory is “what goes up, must come down”, in regards to COD is every year they release a game, but by different makers.
    So when COD MW comes out, then it starts to go down about half way, then comes Black Ops 2 or w/e its called.
    its never going to go away.
    and good. i love zombies.

38. 2 / 13 / 2012 9:32 am

Yeah, I don’t think CoD is responsible for certain games not getting attention.

Honestly, if the game was good enough and there was an audience for it. It wouldn’t matter what else came out.

39. Base360

2 / 13 / 2012 9:38 am

COD is dead! I played MW2 and found it fun for the first week, but it quickly died!

40. Eli

2 / 13 / 2012 9:39 am

I feel that this is one of the better articles about cod. I agree that cod is dying (I know it is number one on xbl) and we can start focusing on other games other than the same old cod. I feel all anyone ever plays anymore are fps games. Am I the only one who plays Mortal Kombat, Skyrim, Resident Evil, Skate, Forza Motorsports, and other game genres besides fps?

41. Pipicaca

2 / 13 / 2012 9:42 am

I like this article, but even if the series is truly dying in every fans hearts I’ve talked to (they call BOps and MW3 bullshit), the sales are not dying… it broke all records and should pass BOps’ 27 million copies sold. Just look at VGC data.
    MW3 is the first CoD game I bought and played and the MP is a joke, the campaign is a joke, the only good point in the game is the survival mode which is very fun.
    I really hope CoD series dies, that’s a threat to the video game industry.

42. rahumel

2 / 13 / 2012 10:25 am

Both BF3 and MW3 are multiplayer only games (according to both games general players.) Most people just get the game and jump online to play. Both games are the same thing as their last games and their both still dull FPS games. I refuse to buy FPS games recently cause they’re all the same. I’ll stick to my platformers (Sonic Generations), RPGs (KoA:R) and my soon to be Sci-Fi RPG (Mass Effect 3)

43. CJ

2 / 13 / 2012 11:29 am

It’s funny that a “True Gamer” wants a well polished series like Call of Duty to die. Its because of truly great game series like Call of Duty it pushes other game developers to make better and more solid games in order to compete, therefore every gamer wins with better quality games. Call of Duty games run on solid game engines that make for an enjoyable gaming experience. To be happy that the series is “dying” then calling yourself a “true gamer” is extremely laughable, and you should be ashamed of that. You just come off sounding like a hater who sucks at Call of Duty and wishes to see it disappear along with your poor ability at the game. BF3 and MW3 also offer completely different experience and those who say they’re the same haven’t played both or haven’t play any of the games. I cheer on good games, I cheer on great games even more, and if another solid call of duty title comes out, I will buy it, why? Because… ITS A GOOD GAME! We have the freedom to choose, and when you went into that video game store, did the people at Game Stop put a gun to your head and say “buy call of duty”? You have your own mind, so please don’t tell other people how to spend their money then try to degrade them by saying “they’re not true gamers”

44. Beast Norris

2 / 13 / 2012 1:46 pm

Homefront & BF3 are better shooters than mw3. Cod has just fallen off even taking a lot of things from homefront. Mw3 is so good to a lot of people because this generation of gamers do not want a challenge, they want it easy. Mw3 is a bad game, with big issues but people have learned to accept mediocrity because it doesnt take any effort to do so

45. call of duty FAN

2 / 13 / 2012 1:51 pm

i will always buy call of duty games on pc,if activision stops making them then i will probably stop playing fps games all together unless RESPAWN ENTERTAINMENT the original makers of modern warfare come up with an alternative fps game which i hope they do because i know they will do a better job than activision.

46. noname

2 / 13 / 2012 3:25 pm

@confused,
    Cod is the most played game on xbox, because… There is almost no online games to play on that system, except maybe halo, and because, well.. There isn’t a lot of content, let’s be honest. Forza, halo, crackdown fable, merci, gears. Today, you have the same games you had 5 years ago. What were the greatest exclusive games, released last year? Not many, right… Of course, since there isn’t a lot of content, whenever a new halo or cod game is released, people run to pick it.

For me, a ps3 owner, even if I bought mw2 and enjoyed the single player, I didn’t buy the other cod “updates”, every year, because:

Microsoft, somehow, has managed to always get the best version, exclusive dlcs, while ps3 owners are posting on boards their troubles with online. Xbox and ps3 may be different when programming, but the netcode should act the same: but no, somehow, ps3 online on cod games are always screwed, login issues, disconnections, etc, while xbox online is just perfect. For sure, someone want the ps3 version to fail..

2nd reason why I don’t play cod: I like playing games, many games, good ones. And ps3 just gives me that. In 2011 I could play and finish at least 20 boxed games, and not even talking about the PSN games, like hustle kings, dead nation, about a blob, zen pinball, trine, etc etc etc. I like to play a fps, finish it, start a rayman, finish, play a sonic, go to a dead space, move to uncharted, replay a Killzone, finish a Gotham City, start a mass effect 2,finish motorstorm apocalypse, move to lbp2, and the list goes on. All this in ONE year. If I was playing cod only, do you realize what I would have missed? Countless hours of fun.

That’s why I prefer a system like the ps3, where I have: choice, quality, content, where studios work hard to bring great sequels, using every MHz last, like Killzone 2-3, infamous 1-2, lbp1-2, motorstorm, etc, instead of a system where I get screwed the first second I spent my money, because I know my system will die, sooner or later, where I have to pay to play online, where people are fooled, with Microsoft Points, instead of money, so people don’t think “this game costs me x”, and think “oh, I still have many points left, I’m rich”, etc etc.

And I’m not even talking about psn+, where we get excellent free content, and huge reductions, even on full boxed games, which come with all the dlc, for free, even if there was 50 dlcs. What do xbox people get for free, when paying for a gold subscriptions? You can join online games…. Yeah, impressive, you’re too kind, Mr. Microsoft, thank you so much :)

OK guys, sorry for the big post, I’m gonna play cod, right now. No, I’m going to finish shank 2,instead, I’m on the last level ;)

47. DiPLoMaTiC_Wayz

2 / 13 / 2012 4:34 pm

I’ve grown bored of the COD series. Been playing BF3 instead.

48. noname

2 / 13 / 2012 8:41 pm

Jizzz,
    @ a real journalist,
    Miss Usa or miss universe can actually say ” i’m #1″, “I’m the best”, etc etc.

But you, even if you seem to have a good score in
    arrogance, we have a feeling you aren’t #1 in modesty.

Correct me if I’m wrong,please.

Another thing, I’ve been playing games for more than 25 years, have internet since 97, I’ve visited millions of game related websites,since 2006, I have a ps3, and have been checking millions of websites,portals,n4g like websites, I searched and read dozens thousand articles,reviews,etc, don’t know if I ever visited your website, but I have no shortcut to your site,or your articles, absolutely nothing. But here, at dlb network,I came here a few times,since last month, and was seduced by the articles I read, the comments, moderators looked cool and respectful, I even posted huge comments with no login,and today, I just decided to register. And I did. I hope I will have a good time here, and will do my best to post nice comments, whenever I have some time, without being afraid of getting 10 disagrees, from ten 12 yo spoiled Xbox little boys, or seeing my bubbles disappear, because the xbot moderator didn’t like to hear the truth about his beloved “Rrod ready” console. Of course,I was talking about N4G.

Back to your website, Mr. real journalist, don’t have any shortcut,or bookmark, I guess nothing there ever interested me. Maybe it was just too perfect, with 0 errors.
    I guess I prefer when there are some grammar typos, it just feels more natural, “humanized”. And that’s a good thing, I believe.

• 2 / 13 / 2012 9:14 pm

Glad to see you register! We love what everyone in our community has to say here and hope you’ll stick around for a while!

49. DPsx7

2 / 13 / 2012 10:31 pm

Could not agree more. I’m one of the proud people who can say they’ve never owned or played this awful franchise for many of the reasons you listed. Activison as a whole can drop off the face of the earth and we’ll be better off. Once they burned out and dropped GH they became irrelevant. Sales DO NOT indicate quality.

I’ve been gaming since before the Atari and like you appreciate variety. I have around 160 PS3 games and 80 Wii games, with hundreds more in my 31+ console colllection. Won’t buy a 360 because it’s essentially just a collection of kiddie shooters like CoD. One check through the comments for CoD supporters proves that.

I’ll agree BF3 is excellent and have been playing it regularly since its release, but at the same time have a huge backlog to get through and haven’t forgotten the other games, offline and online, that deserve attention.

50. LOL COD

2 / 16 / 2012 5:24 am

To this endless stream of comments, I can only add:

Haters gonna hate.

51. 2 / 16 / 2012 2:21 pm

Well someone has the balls to say what every real gamer is thinking. Actually CoD MW2 was alright but I didn’t think it was as good campaign wise as the CoD4. For me MW2 was the last CoD game I bothered getting. I know people who call themselves gamers they own 360′s and Live but only one game MW3. If you call yourself a gamer but only enjoy a single game you should ask yourself if you are a gamer at all.

Having been an entertainment critic for newspapers and worked for gaming sites I look at CoD as a cash grab. Activision doing everything possible to make a profit over creating an actual quality product. I fear EA will make Battlefield an annual franchise to compete.

During black Friday I saw the funniest example. A guy came up to me out of the blue asking if I enjoyed first person shooters? He then asked how long I had been gaming and how much time I spent playing some games. When he was satisfied I was a real gamer he asked.

“I want a great shooter I plan on buying CoD MW3 is it worth 59.99$. I looked at him and said no! He became agitated saying everyone buys CoD it had to be good asked me my reasoning. I told him Activision cut corners the campaign was too short they reused building and character models from the last two games. Visually while impressive it was anything ground breaking and that online multi player was the games redeeming quality but if he wanted an actual great game to get BattleField3. He said he was too poor to buy more then one game. I went over grabbed BF3 which was 39.99$ and then grabbed Home front which was 14.99$. I told the man for the price of CoD MW3 he could get one of the greatest shooters in the last few years and the first entry in a pretty cool new shooting franchise.

The guy looked at me stunned. I told him he’d get almost triple the amount of game play hours in campaign and some truly innovative and ground breaking game play. The guy said he would need to ask another person because he had been told both BF3 and HomeFront were shit.

So called gamers today spend all their time on CoD while great platformers like Rayman Origins fail to do well. It seems master pieces of other genres get neglected. CoD dying would be a good outcome for.the entire industry.

Personally CoD back when I loved it was a history based FPS one based in actual war zones. I loved this fact and don’t even feel MW should be in the CoD franchise but rather be an entirely different franchise.

Lets hope other genres pick up and other shooters take over from CoD. It would be okay to see Activision bring CoD down to a release every two years with a sizable campaign and innovative content. But the current formula blows we don’t need a recycled uninnovative rushed and shoot CoD killing games who’s developers actually put in effort.

52. Anon

6 / 19 / 2012 8:01 pm

Lol, consoles.

53. Sik kid Pk

6 / 21 / 2012 10:55 am

Soo tired of COD. I enjoyed BF3 way more than MW3.

54. Haloboyg54

6 / 29 / 2012 3:32 pm

I think CoD dying will be for the best… Well let me get on back to Skyrim, when my ps3 is finally repaired.

55. BET

7 / 18 / 2012 8:15 am

It isn’t really dying, but it is killing the gamers in us. Every year new tweens will be able to start playing it and they will because they are young and easily influenced / peer pressured etc. I’ve been playing since COD4 and only last month did I finally decide to pack it in for good. Halo Reach is great fun, and I really appreciate the endless fun I have building castles in Minecraft on the Xbox. I completely agree that it blinds people from other genres, whilst they are in its grip. Was like that with me for nearly 5 years.

56. Aron

7 / 21 / 2012 10:33 am

Wait, Battlefield 3 has redefined shooters? With bug ridden gameplay, terrible hit detection and making the ranges of assault rifles lose damage at 20 meters is ridiculous. Especially when your game is made to have bigger maps. They also only use 64 players on console, which I highly doubt the PS3 can’t use more when the CELL isn’t even fully used AND they have dedicated servers. Which is the main reason I disagree, because despite what PC gamers bash, consoles are leading platforms, so back to my statement, with only 24 players you are stuck playing hide and go seek for 6 players on the ground, while the other are flying around. Doing this on huge maps is boring.

• Aron

7 / 21 / 2012 10:37 am

Typo, I meant they only use 64 players on PC. People that bash consoles are also a little ridiculous. Are you mad that I payed $250 to play on a console that can play Blu-Ray and play next generation games on 2005 hardware? Oh, my bad and how much was your PC? Oh, okay.

57. UGNazi

10 / 13 / 2012 2:14 pm

Look, We all know COD is dying, my personal opinion is that MW3 completely turned the tables, black ops MP was amazing compared to MW3, they took the exact same graphics from mw2, and the menu theme is very dated, I would say that some of the last hope for COD to survive will be all from the black ops series, since obviously the modern warfare series is fucked.

58. Adas2472

11 / 25 / 2012 5:39 am

Guys, COD just wants our money and is running out of ideas, but who knows? maybe they can pull off 3 or 4 more games (that I’m not going to get), if they are successful and their costumers DONT SEE THAT EVERY COD HAS THE SAME MAIN IDEA (mindlessly kill people) they might do well. i can picture someone saying “I can’t wait for Call of Duty 17!”, comparing the game to real life is not fun, I have a fire-arms license and do enjoy going to the range every once in a while, but I can’t picture my slug going someones flesh and bone, leaving the person disabled for life. The thought is sickening, (i do enjoy FPS’s but there is a limit) If you took one child who plays COD, and gave him a gun and told him to shot someone, and they did, I’m sure they won’t play COD for a year, or maybe even forever. Kids need to watch what they are playing, I used to play lots of FPS’s until I got my hunting-licence and my fire-arms licence, now I stick to minecraft
    :D

59. Adas2472

11 / 25 / 2012 5:41 am

:D.

60. CSsean83

2 / 8 / 2013 7:57 pm

i play most of the cod games only missing WaW and MW1
    why do i play ??

easy as hell and some faster action to BF3 what i clocked about 500 hours on :X

i dont use headphones in cod to many squeaky people

and game that define this genre why is CounterStrike not is your list ????

dont think CoD or BF be what it is now without it :x

61. Alec

4 / 24 / 2013 7:45 pm

With CoD finally circling the toilet bowl, hopefully that means that video game consumers will be putting their money elsewhere within the industry and I’ll finally get to see a quality sci-fi racing game again someday soon. Good riddance, CoD!!

62. Robert

5 / 10 / 2013 2:33 pm

It’s undeniable that the COD series is beginning to lose steam now, thankfully. I having started gaming from when they first appeared loved the game series until they decided to take the “modern” approach. It seems as though the game has lost it’s way, catering more to try and draw in the masses the hear so much about it rather than focus on solid gameplay, games like the Call of Duty series I don’t think should try and focus on the multiplayer aspect of a game, yes alot of games now are fully dedicated to the fact but we have to remember that somewhere in the jumbled mess of the CoD games is supposed to be a story that as far as I can tell does not most who play it bar thoughs who seek to try and boost their gamer score or the like. A good game should focus equally on both aspects and try to create a balance, Call of Duty used to have that balance USED, I feel the franchise has become more of a money making scheme of the same recycled games for years each one becoming more and more dilute in that sense the game can be described as dying. People play CoD because of the name it’s recognized it’s something people know, eventually it will move on and the mainstream will be filled by another franchise or genre until it’s milked to the point of we will all be complaining about that. IN CONCLUSION, Call of Duty is a game that once interested a diverse generation of avid gamers however it has now grown stagnant to many in this generation as we are now pushed away by game developers in way for the “new” gun ho gamer generation yes the ones we all complain about the young kids play games and shouting down their microphones, scary as it is but at some point they are going to be in the positions we are all in now it’s a sad fact of we are simply being replaced in favour of young children funded by the bank of mum and dad.

63. Bf4thewin

10 / 25 / 2013 3:41 am

Yes COD is dying, Call Of Duty Ghost will be the final straw that breaks the camels back , people are finally starting to see that they have been wasting their money for the past 6 years on a game that’s essentially the same now as it was then, the sooner Activision admit it to themselves and stop blaming the decline in pre orders on next generation the better, then they may finally put some effort into making a completely NEW game franchise.
    BF4 Is by far the superior game and the BF franchise in my opinion always has been. only now are people starting to realise this, BF4 is the highest preordered game on both next generation consoles and I’m telling you now BF games are the future of fps gaming.