EA Sports to charge used game customers $10 for online capabilities

12. May, 2010 Site 18 comments

In  these tough economic times where it’s becoming harder to pay for what people want, we understand that used games might be the way for some people to enjoy gaming. Apparently, Electronic Arts doesn’t understand – they plan to charge you $10 if you want online capabilities to be unlocked on your used game.

Yes, you heard right. The way it works is that your EA Sports game is shipped with a redeemable code. That code contains the unlock for online play and a few bonus things they threw in there. It’s not like entering long codes isn’t annoying enough, but for online play? Come on EA! If you’re one of the people that bought the used game you’re given a 7 day grace period to try out the game online with the bonus content but then you’ll have to pony up for it.

From the EA FAQ:

“In order to continue to enhance the online experiences that are attracting nearly five million connected game sessions a day, again, we think it’s fair to get paid for the services we provide and to reserve these online services for people who pay EA to access them.”

Seriously? EA has had multiple high volume games with online capabilities and they haven’t seemed to stop making money or feel the bite from all the gamers. I think that they’re starting to forget that the reason they’re successful is because we’re the ones buying the games!

The first game to ship with the Online Pass “feature” is Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11. I just honestly hope that other companies won’t jump on this bandwagon, because it really does seem like something that would convince me to buy another game.

[Via EA Sports Online Pass]

Comments
  1. 5 / 12 / 2010 7:09 am

This a just a tactic to try to persuade people to buy new instead of used games. It’s kind of understandable from a business standpoint, but kind of like “wtf” from a gamer standpoint.

2. hatmantc

5 / 12 / 2010 7:25 am

@blumatt: Exactly, devs are bing crushed by used game sales. So it makes sense for them to try this route. Until we see GameStop and other companies start to have some sort of royality program for used game sales to help devs, I expect there will be more prgrams in this vein onthe near future

3. 5 / 12 / 2010 9:41 am

I agree with you guys somewhat but I think if EA wants this to work they might want to think about getting their servers working properly. I stopped playing EA games online simply because most of the time I couldn’t log in to their servers and when I could the lag was so bad it felt like trying to play on a dialup connection. Not worth the money at this time if you ask me.

4. MAXVTEC

5 / 12 / 2010 9:42 am

Hahahhahaha his is great!!!! It’s a good thing don’t play their games online, we will see how this turns out..

This guys are either on the deal of their lifes or they just just masturbated…. In simple words. They just fuck them selves lol.

5. teflondon613

5 / 12 / 2010 10:36 am

wow smart mofos lol u cant hate they are about there bread

6. Christendom

5 / 12 / 2010 11:07 am

This isn’t going to work and they know it, that is why the first game is a Tiger Woods game. If it would have been Fight Night, Madden, or NBA Live then I would have been worried, but PGA.

Good Luck EA.

7. MAXVTEC

5 / 12 / 2010 11:36 am

I feel sorry for lil Jimmy when he gets home with his used copy of medal of honor and finds out he can’t play it. I don’t think Gamestop is gonna let him know because it will lose that sale. Sure he can buy it new but what if he can only aford the use on, so this mean that Gamestop will no longer buy EA used games, so game stop is he one that should worry about this…

8. m3xic4n_843

5 / 12 / 2010 12:22 pm

Damn you EA. I really don’t care I don’t buy EA games but I do plan on buying MOH but a new copy though. But this is a bad move done by EA oh well.

9. snake-oo

5 / 12 / 2010 1:37 pm

it wont be long before other companies follow the same practice. i personally agree on this practice because used games are hurting the industry, it’s the same as piracy. if the developer got a cut off used games maybe it would not have come to a company resorting to such actions.
    people have to realize that used games simply destroy a potential franchise like heavenly sword, a great game destroyed by used game sales.

10. Rocc-Monsta

5 / 12 / 2010 8:37 pm

@snake-oo

thats a dumb comment how is it like piracy? Your one to talk about piracy.

Fuck EA and Fuck gamestop I buy, trade and sell all my games on craigslist. All newer games go for about $40 I can get god of war 3, battlefield BC 2 and MW2 for about $40 each when gamestop will charge me $50 to $55 to buy used and then only give me $25 for trade in. I can sell for $40 on craigslist I win and the guy I’m selling to wins. No one complains when I buy a used chevy or toyota, used car dealerships make money not the car company I can’t afford a brand new 30 thousand car so I buy used and only spend 18 thousand same with buying used games I can’t afford $64 with tax so I buy used $40 tax free from ebay or craigslist.

• 5 / 12 / 2010 9:21 pm

Hey man. I understand Snake’s point of view and your point too, but there is no need to call him out in regard to piracy. That was a low blow.

11. Rocc-Monsta

5 / 12 / 2010 10:33 pm

@blumatt

how is that a low blow? From listening to the podcasts it’s well known that snake likes to download music, movies, and games for free or at least he used to, even if he doesn’t any more now all of a sudden he cares. Practice what you preach.

• 5 / 12 / 2010 11:12 pm

Yea, I’ve heard him say it on the podcast too, but I wouldn’t just throw it in his face like that. This $10 program is to curb the used games market from taking away potential new game sales. It’s just the next step forward. Something had to be done to counter Gamestop as well as Gamefly. This will do more good than bad. I’ve bought my fair share of used games (I haven’t bought any sports games, though, since I’m not big on sports games.) and even I understand why this has to happen.

• snake-oo

5 / 13 / 2010 8:45 am

@Rocc-Monsta: yea i pirate, i pirated alot of things but 85% of them i also purchased, eg: last enigma album, mass effect, resident evil games, and a lot more. i purchased bioshock 3 times brand new for the ps3, pc, and xbox 360. i pirated resident evil on 360 but i also bought it on ps3 brand new. i pirated alot of my movies before i bought them on blu ray, or dvd brand new(not used).
      You say there’s no difference between a used car to a used games, well 30.000 for a new car and 64 for a new game is a big difference.
      i understand u saying that u saved urself alot a money buying off craigslist or ebay, and u enjoyed the product, but at the same time u took valuable sales off a developer who put there heart and soul into making a great game. now think for a minute, u have a new franchise that love, but due to used game sales on ps3 that franchise did’nt sell enough to warrent a sequal, what would u feel like. i know to this day i wish there was a heavenly sword sequal, and still i hope there will be 1.

12. Rocc-Monsta

5 / 13 / 2010 7:05 am

@blumatt

wow I can’t believe you agree with this move by EA it will just hurt them in the end. I already have to pay $50 a year for xbox live and because I wanna save a couple bucks were being penalized for it. Maybe developers should make better games so we don’t wanna trade them in and quit spitting out garbage on a yearly basis. Madden, CoD and a few others come out every year when developers should take more time on them. I only support quality games and buy em brand new like uncharted 2, GoW 3 and GTA.

• 5 / 13 / 2010 9:24 am

The sad part is that you and a few of us on this site are some the few people that actually stick to that philosophy: buying mostly new, quality games. That’s why this system is going to be implemented. This will not by any means keep people from buying used games, but you can bet your ass that new game sales will benefit from this move, if only negligibly.

13. m3xic4n_843

5 / 13 / 2010 12:32 pm

They just want to charge for anything now a days. First charge to play online what’s next? Are they going to charge to play multi-player with the same console.