geohot: Don’t update when PS3 firmware v3.21 comes out

29. March, 2010 Site 13 comments

Hot off the the heels of the upcoming PS3 firmware 3.21 announcement that disables the “Other OS” feature yesterday, George Hotz fires back at Sony and promises to “look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support”. But first, the famed hacker sent out his apologies to the PS3 community and explained his reasons for hacking the console:

First off, I want to apologize to all the people who use Linux on their PS3. Before releasing, I weighed the pros and cons, and considered the possibility of an impact on OtherOS support. My logic was this. OtherOS support had already been removed from the Slim(not for technical reasons; I believe it only existed in the first place to promote the Cell for IBM) The builders had apparently no intention of including it in future products. So for the purposes of openness why not release? Not like anything else has(or probably will be) done on the PS3.

Now you go and remove that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing “security concerns”. What security concerns? It’s not like the exploit can be run even close to without the users knowledge. You have to open the fucking thing up. How could this harm users? Your blog post doesn’t list positive reasons for upgrading like I think most users expect. Instead it lists things you will lose if you don’t upgrade. Seriously?

Now on the topic of upcoming PS3 firmware update, geohot says:

A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat’s Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that’s how you want to play…

Thanks to OJ 3000 and Sota for the tip!

Via [On the PlayStation 3]

Comments
  1. 3 / 29 / 2010 8:34 pm

goddamn things are getting heated! CFW is gonna come now….(which can be a good AND bad thing…..)

2. 3 / 29 / 2010 9:14 pm

dang i couldnt even get a shout out for giving info on the original post of the os gettin taken out……

3. Azhyen619

3 / 29 / 2010 9:33 pm

Look, Sony doesn’t want their platform to remain open for people like geohot to further explore the possibilities of hacking the system. Geohot is equally angry now that he has to find a work around for Sony’s new firmware. It’s a lose for everyone.

I’d rather be able to login to the PSN and be able to play games rather than have an expensive device I can’t just so that I can exploit it.

Well-Loved // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

• 3 / 29 / 2010 10:04 pm

He could get himself into some legal trouble as well.

4. 3 / 29 / 2010 9:38 pm

@Azhyen619: agreed

5. If Sony wants to take a stand against piracy on the PS3 then I can’t hate them for it. It’s more than what they did for the PSP which is basically a pirate’s dream. Linux on the PS3 isn’t even a big feature so just calm down and be happy for what you got.

6. Redman88

3 / 30 / 2010 8:11 am

“Now you go and remove that people expected to be included with the expensive device they purchased, citing “security concerns”.” I would dare him to name one person who bought a PS3 solely for the fact you can install another OS. 99% of people who bought a ps3 bought it to play video games. I personally like Sony as a company, even if they did come out with custom firmware for the PS3 I wouldn’t use it. I don’t think they deserve to get ripped off like that. So as an owner of an original 60gb backwards compatible and all playstation3, I will be upgrading to 3.21

Well-Loved // Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

• 3 / 30 / 2010 10:07 am

couldn’t have said it better myself redman :)

7. Joe890

3 / 30 / 2010 10:12 am

Im on a slim anyway but even if i wasnt id update because windows pwn linix

8. luigielwero

3 / 30 / 2010 12:07 pm

hell ya man time to buy me a blue ray burner and have me some fun

9. datriggerman

3 / 30 / 2010 1:11 pm

<~~ Owns a slim! My fat died..

10. Sly

3 / 30 / 2010 10:30 pm

I support sony; I purchased some of thier exclusives, and I don’t use Linux. But if you don’t think an update that actually takes away features from the ps3 is not a shitty update; you just proved how retarded a fanboy really can be.

• Redman88

3 / 31 / 2010 6:55 am

I thought it was shitty when Sony removed the memory card readers, I thought it was shitty when they decided to go with 2 usb slots instead of four. No one thinks this is a good update. I, myself, am just apathetic about it. It’s a useless feature that I don’t use, and never plan to use. It’s like if Nintendo removed the ability to put little pairs of sunglasses on pictures of your dog in the Photo channel. I just really don’t care. However I DO think it’s a good update for Sony’s sake.

For the handful of people who do use Linux on their PS3, Go to wal mart and buy a net book with Linux for 150 dollars. Or better yet, buy a PC. Oh, you already have a PC? Then why are you using the PS3 as one too? It’s a horrible use for the PS3 in my opinion. That’s just how it is. But so far it seems the only ones angry about this update is Geo-hot. I only have one thing to say about him, Get a real job you bum.