PS3 Hate Boils Over, Fanboy “Journalists” Embarrass The Industry

15. January, 2009 PS3, Xbox 360 19 comments

There was an error with the image.

PSXExtreme writes:

ThisThis, right here. This is why gaming journalists will never get any respect.

We recently ran an article that warned readers against misinterpreting opinion as facts because apparently, only loud-mouthed fanboys get any sort of attention in the realm of so-called video game journalism.

Typically, the world of gaming news continues forward in much the same way it always has; we scan around, field the press releases in our inbox, try to find interesting scoops online, etc, etc, etc. But the recent trend, which apparently began with a new rash of PS3 hate – fueled entirely by jealousy - has assaulted the Internet, and we’re already feeling the negative effects. You know, when narrow-minded idiots make certain inane proclamations in an ill-advised attempt to present their opinion as fact, everyone suffers. Now, they’re actually trying to prove a point with completely irrelevant statistics!

Okay, here’s a concept that everyone - everyone - needs to comprehend and accept. The Xbox 360 launched one year before the PlayStation 3. It has a larger user base. Depending on the source you use, Sony has sold between 18 and 20 million PS3s and Microsoft has sold between 26 and 28 million 360s. Now, we won’t bother to show the obvious closing of the gap in the past two years; we’d rather stick to the point: when there are 8-10 million more of one particular console out there, the sales numbers for the corresponding software will reflect that gap. Therefore, this isn’t anything like comparing the software sales between systems with equal user bases, and that instantly alters the numbers. This is fact #1. Here’s fact #2: evidently, the only argument the Xbox loyalists have left revolves around sales numbers. And they’re desperately trying to cling to it like a drowning fanboy clings to the life raft that’s moments away from heading over the waterfall (God, if only).

Obviously, nothing else matters. No other aspect of the system comes into play. Blu-Ray doesn’t matter. A free PlayStation Network doesn’t matter. PlayStation Home doesn’t matter. Faaaar better reliability doesn’t matter. Hell, even the games don’t matter. Has anyone been able to locate an equally retarded anti-PS3, pro-360 article that even mentions games? Hell, and here I was thinking that this industry is all about the damn games. According to just about every last major publication on earth, the best games of 2008 were MGS4, GTAIV, Gears of War 2LittleBigPlanetLeft 4 DeadFallout 3Resistance 2Fable IIValkyria ChroniclesDead Space, and Devil May Cry 4. Sure, it’s subjective, but I doubt most normal, unbiased gamers will disagree with that list. I see four PS3 exclusives, three 360 exclusives, and a bunch of multiplats; none of which were superior on the 360. And looking into 2009…yeah, we all know the PS3 has a gigantic advantage. We won’t list off the games again.  But let’s just say that mostall the games everyone is talking about right now - Killzone 2, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5 - are PS3 exclusives, and the others are multiplats.  Are there any 360 exclusives that are in the impending spotlight?  Seriously…any at all?

But hey, why should that matter to video game journalists? Why bother to use statistics that will equal out the argument? No, let’s just include those that support our end of the argument, because the truth of the matter is, we’re either high school or college kids pretending to be “journalists” but failing to cover up the obvious bias. Yeah, MGS4 has been “pushed” into the background. Sure, why even bother to entertain the notion that it outstrips anything on the 360? I’m not saying it does, but I guess sales are all that matter. Yeah, Prologue was just a demo so it must’ve sucked and GT5 might not come out until 2010…which immediately means it’s not ever coming out, so who cares. LBP didn’t perform so well in sales…despite selling 1.3 million copies so far (and despite a typically terrible Sony advertising campaign) and scoring higher on average than every last 360 game in 2008 with the exception of GeoW2. Blu-Ray? Yeah, who needs high-def movies and games? The Network is free but we’d rather pay for what amounts to the same service these days.

Reliability? Bah. Just because everyone you talk to says they’re on their 63rd 360 doesn’t mean anything! Hey, just as a final question; something to chew on here: that 8-10 million gap in user base…how many of those sold 360s are second, third, and fourth purchases from the same consumer because their previous console crapped out? I know warranties and the like will take care of some of them, but they can’t possibly take care of all of them. Anyway, we apologize for the rant, but we’re getting sick and tired of the irresponsible, horrendously biased, and completely unprofessional “articles” that we’re seeing online.

You know, this is the reason why I’m oftentimes embarrassed to say I’m a video games reporter amongst other journalists. Because children, like the ones at Gaming Target, screw me over.

**hOoDnErD**

Comments
  1. BlindMango

1 / 15 / 2009 2:07 pm

that was awesome and right on the point! i hope a lot of 360 fanboys see this garbage…

2. DamonTheMoney

1 / 15 / 2009 2:08 pm

@hOoDnErD

i dont think i could have put it better myself. goddamn bias!!

3. RBdrift

1 / 15 / 2009 2:32 pm

Im hOoDnErD

4. blaccat

1 / 15 / 2009 2:44 pm

Go on neogaf to the killzone thread, a write from gamesradar just got ownd and exposed

With evidence and all

the bias is incredible

5. 1 / 15 / 2009 2:57 pm

@ RBdrift

No your not!! haha

6. whitewolf10

1 / 15 / 2009 3:24 pm

*bows to **hOoDnErD** “i’m not worthy i’m not worthy” lol…very cool article…you should post this on every xbox 360 forum you can find…..i know i will lol….ok, i wont post this on forums but i will show this to my cousin who’s friend is for the xbox 360 and is always saying there are no good ps 3 games coming out that ARENT multiplatfrom….

7. MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON

1 / 15 / 2009 3:54 pm

Wait Hoodnerd didn’t write this PSXEXTREAM wrote it right?

Not taking anything away from Hood but ppl are confusing me with who wrote this article.

8. EAZE49

1 / 15 / 2009 3:57 pm

yea REAL good find hOoDnErD…i alway here my friends coming up with some bullshit to make 360 look better and PS3 like ass…but i all i got to say at the end is NAME 1 MUST HAVE GAME FOR 09 ON THE 360….WHAT…WHAT Y AINT I HEARIN ANYTHING LOL

9. Arti Sel

1 / 15 / 2009 4:11 pm

“mostall the games everyone is talking about right now – Killzone 2, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5 – are PS3 exclusives, and the others are multiplats. ”

Yea, who cares about Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2!? Compared to the glory that is the ps3 everything else pales, pc is a dying market anyway. Finaly an article completly without bias, i especially liked it when you talked about blueray, totaly jizzed in my pants. You sure showed the rest of the gaming journalists what neutrality means! OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL PS 3 RULES.

10. XkawsX

1 / 15 / 2009 5:44 pm

I don’t want to start any trouble or sound like a jackass, but the 360 is the most overrated console of all time in my opinion. I snatched up the 360 Elite when it first came out and all the games people were praising for the console were horrible to me with the exception of Crackdown. Since then I’ve sold my 360 and now I only own a PS3 and I prefer it over the 360 by miles. Even though the 360 only has one exclusive title that I like at the moment and nothing at all interesting in ’09 I still want to get another one just so I can have all three consoles. The only thing keeping me from buying another one is the bias gaming media and the ignorant Xbox community.

11. smokewitme

1 / 15 / 2009 8:05 pm

The article thats linked in the above, is about how 2008 was not the year of the PS3.Which is a fair statement. And I think thats what this blogger is annoyed about. This time last year Sony had a good lineup for 2008.

Socom
    Resistance2
    MGS4
    GT Prologue
    LBP

And this is a Killer Lineup. A lineup that should’ve crushed the 360, but it didn’t. So for him to be offended by another blogger posting his views of PS3′s 2008 outcome, is really silly. Its the same thing that Fox News and MSNBC accuse each other of doing, so i’m not schocked by this at all.

12. anarchris.

1 / 15 / 2009 8:44 pm

But xbox people need to understand that the PS3 was out a year later then the 360. It was going to sell more for while IT HAD YEAR HEAD START.

Plus, I have always wondered if MS counts replaced 360 as “systems sold” to boost their numbers? MS has done shady shit, biz wise before.

13. A Big Shot

1 / 15 / 2009 9:41 pm

Wow, this dude has some insecurities…only Sony employees should get that bent outta shape over shit like that…smh

14. 1 / 15 / 2009 9:55 pm

Good find, Hoodnerd. Props for posting a solid truth.

15. MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON

1 / 15 / 2009 11:57 pm

@ A BIG SHOT

is the article true tho?

16. IndoAssassin

1 / 16 / 2009 12:31 am

Lol this is the most heated ruthless console war in history. It is too bad that the media is biased tho. I thought they are gamers like me who love to play games regardless of the medium. But apparently they all caught the fanboy disease and are favouring their preferred consoles. Well atleast this console war has put an end to the death of PC Gaming articles that were being strewn around before. I seriously hope that M$ starts being more creative with their games tho. I’m getting tired of just seeing sequels coming from them. Although Banjo and GeOW2 were sweet games. I wonder when Sony will finally reveal their top secret game. I guess they’re saving it for E3 to counter any surprises that M$ will bring.

@ Arti Sel:
    Please tell me how the PC is a dying market? Apparently it’s been dying since the first playstation came out what 10 years ago. But the fact is PC is going strong and really hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. It is and always has been a niche market. Yet it’s still thriving even after that onslaught of negativity it faced for 10 years.

Straight up all this Death of PC Gaming nonsense will only cause the death of all the consoles. It’s because of us PC gamers that graphics/physics are where they are today. Who made the RSX and Cell chip in your PS3? Or the processor and the graphics chip for the 360? Let’s see IBM, Nvidia, and ATI. How were these companies able to spend their money on R&D to bring you that tech? Yah that’s right because of us PC Gamers.

17. AcEdYaBoOtAy

1 / 16 / 2009 10:48 am

this is amazing…someone give PSXExtreme a rase. what site did you find this article on??!?! good find hoodnerd

just goes to show how much the gaming industry has changed over time..its sad really..are numbers/sales all people care about? what happened to the importance of the games itself?? isnt that what making games and consoles all about??! to show off the quality of the GAME! i hate biased people and this article proves it

AGAIN i saulte you PSXExtreme

18. A Big Shot

1 / 16 / 2009 1:09 pm

@ MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON

Funny you ask that, cause there is alot of fact, and alot of opinion and bias in here as well. My point is that this was clearly written by someone who hearts Sony, which is cool, but it’s just another entry in the console war log. It wasn’t written from a non-partisan standpoint (been wanting to use that term since I started having ‘Election’ withdrawls).

This guy comes off as pretty emo to me, thas all.

It’s really not worth going in on this guy [II]

19. billyjunxix

1 / 17 / 2009 9:11 am

That was damn good. I was shock to hear it so straight forward and direct to the point. Is there a way that this could be put out there where all the gamers could see. This is really good.