DLB-Network: Games of 2008

Games of 2008

DLB-Network Games of 2008
Panel: DLB, MikeDemo1, SilverK9, US_Army, and Hoodnerd

After the jump you will see the awards that where pick from the DLB-Network panel. Coming next week we will release the behind the scenes audio file so you guys can here who pick what and why, what games almost won but but where out ruled by others and a lot more.

This was one of the most hated discussions in DLB-Network history. Once again that will be coming next week.

Games in BOLD are the winners:

Best Graphics:

Mario Kart Wii
Devil May Cry 4

Platform of the Year 2008:

Nintendo Wii
PlayStation 3

Xbox 360

Comments
  1. Taarec10

12 / 17 / 2008 1:41 pm

mgs4 all day

2. PS360Wii

12 / 17 / 2008 1:48 pm

[riffly_audio]CC059AF2CC7C11DDABAD601D86C451F0[/riffly_audio]

3. bangin_bangali25

12 / 17 / 2008 2:05 pm

mgs4 is the best this year. And i kno that u guys wud say ps3 is the best this year but it was still funny wen i scrolled down and saw it.

4. BlindMango

12 / 17 / 2008 2:07 pm

not bad at all, I wouldn’t say MGS4 as much as you guys did though, but that’s just my personal opinion.

5. 12 / 17 / 2008 2:10 pm

yea this is how i should have been

6. izzy071707

12 / 17 / 2008 2:10 pm

how is LBP nominated for biggest flop yet also nominated for some top awards?? then MGS4 game of the year??? and resistance 2 not even nominated??? Resistance 2 still hasn’t gotten the props it deserves.

7. MAXVTEC

12 / 17 / 2008 2:45 pm

ITS ALL GOOD….

8. 12 / 17 / 2008 2:58 pm

no complaints

9. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:01 pm

I like all the rewards, but Best Downloadable Game is “The Last Guy”? Are you serious? That game is ugly. The best thing involving “The Last Guy” is that developer interview on the PlayStation Store (I’m into dry humor). I would’ve chosen any other game on that list other than “The Last Guy”. That’s just me though; everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

10. Helmetz

12 / 17 / 2008 3:15 pm

Good list except for best downloadable game and flop of the year….as for game of the year, personally i think it’s a tie between mgs4 and fallout3!!

11. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:16 pm

why are lbp and socom nominated for biggest flop. lbp is an amazing game. socom is fun and came with a kickass bluetooth headset.

12. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:18 pm

@ Orpheo

I agree that The Last Guy should not have won because Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is way better. In the last guy the dude you play as has to run away from every monster he sees and he’s supposed to be a hero but he can’t fight back(that sucks) despite all that The Last Guy was a creative game. Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is the remake of a classic fighting game that is still fun to play after many years and that’s why Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix IS THE BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME of 2008.

13. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:33 pm

@ superballa

Agree. “Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix” is arguably an older game, but I’d honestly rather play SSFII than anything else on that list; that should’ve won.

Another award I’m iffy on is platform of the year. I think overall the 360 won. New & Improved Dashboard, Netflix, Gears 2, A Price Drop Lower Than The Wii, Announcement of FFXIII Going Multi-Platform; face it, the 360 got this year.

Next year I can see Sony taking this one home, unless M$ has some serious surprises up their sleeves.

14. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:34 pm

For best downloadable game could it be a game thats on a blu ray and up for download like socom, grand turismo, and burnout. And where is ratchet and clank that game was amazing!!

15. Nightwingx12

12 / 17 / 2008 3:40 pm

Nintendo should have won platform of the year….lol….jk

16. 12 / 17 / 2008 3:49 pm

Back to “Best Downloadable Game”, I can see “Braid” getting the award as well. Haven’t played “Castle Crashers” so can’t comment on that one. I’d still rather play SSFII than anything else on there.

17. Frologic

12 / 17 / 2008 4:46 pm

[riffly_audio]1C856472CC9511DD9EBC601D86C451F0[/riffly_audio]

18. MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON

12 / 17 / 2008 5:19 pm

@PS360Wii

The Community did vote buddy. Try going to the forums.

19. ASP93

12 / 17 / 2008 6:04 pm

only one i disagree with is the best downloadable game… -_-

20. 5starGamer

12 / 17 / 2008 6:15 pm

HOLD ON HOLD ON HOLD ON!
    why the heck is LittleBigPlanet nominated as Flop of the Year?!?!?
    is it because of its sales?
    cuz i thought it was AMAZING.

21. 12 / 17 / 2008 6:59 pm

The downloaded game is fail…
    And why did I get banned from using the damn forums?!?
    It said I was senting Spam PMS when I wasn’t doing SHIT! Whoever banned me sucks.

22. 12 / 17 / 2008 8:37 pm

thanks everyone, and we like hearing your opinions also, well said ps360wii

but remember, the recording of our debates will be out next week, it is very interesting and funny and u must listen, almost every category had a big debate, i mean some are huge lol

and u will see y certain games won per category, like too human and why lbp was nominated for biggest flop ect.

check it out when it drops

US_ARMY

23. JIGS@WG4L

12 / 17 / 2008 8:43 pm

iam not suprised you guys pick ps3 as platform of the year but you guys are so wrong ps3 hasnt done nothing to help its system bad ads and only 2 killer apps please explain why you guys pick it for platform of the year in the next pod cast this is jigsawg4l a long time supporter

24. xnervex1

12 / 17 / 2008 8:49 pm

I agree with this list completely

25. 12 / 17 / 2008 9:21 pm

@jigs

u will hear y in the recording of the debate, and everyone will be shocked to hear who chose what console ;)

26. DLB

12 / 17 / 2008 11:04 pm

@Everbody in this comment section:

[riffly_audio]9545246CCCCA11DD8C38601D86C451F0[/riffly_audio]

27. 12 / 17 / 2008 11:38 pm

I agree with most of these choices. I can’t wait to hear the discussion lol. It would have been even better if snake was there though!

28. DLB

12 / 18 / 2008 1:27 am

@Undercovermc:

I agree it would have been better if Snake where there, but then again it would have been better if the whole crew could have been there.

But what can I say sh*t happens… LOL

29. m3xic4n_843

12 / 18 / 2008 7:56 am

keep the podcast long DLB, who ever doesn’t like the podcast to be long they can just pause it and listen to the rest later simple as that.

30. A Big Shot

12 / 18 / 2008 9:25 am

I agree with everything except COTY.

I will respond to anyone who would like to tastefully and intelligently disagree or concur…

I don’t see how PS3 won (I mean, yeah this is a PS3 site under the surface :-\) being outsold overall for the year…YES, I REALIZE THAT THIS IS A POINTLESS BATTLE HERE…But honestly, the games have been under preforming sales wise, useful features and updates have been few and far between (Life with Playstation???) then Sony spends YEAAAARS working on HOME to finally release it as an UNFINISHED OPEN BETA…smh

I definitely don’t see 2008 as a good year for Sony. The majority of the top played games on the console were multiplatform titles. A few things that irked me about this decision…sooo mad I missed the podcast btw…are the fact that overall, basically the Panel had to disregard a bunch of half assed mistakes that Sony made…Like Trophies in some games, not ALL games after the initial launch even though if and when they finally made the patch-in, they were carbon copies of their Xbox 360 Achievement Counterpart.

Now, I’m no fool, RROD is by far the worst mistake a company could ever make but that has been dealt with and their support is pretty good as far as getting owners a new console (Yes, my launch box RR’d on me and I got it fixed free) but by and large Microsoft has been leading this Gen as far as innovations and outshined all other consoles with the quality of their software releases and overall functionality…whereas Sony has been following (Trophies etc).

Look, let’s get one thing straight before the inevitable onslaught of Sony Fanboys leap to PS3′s defense…I AM NOT A FANBOY…IF I WAS, I WOULD BE A SEGA FANBOY THO LOL…I happen to respect the initiative that Microsoft has put forth, with the exception of the dead Horse RROD there is really of substance to complain about the games are plentiful and pretty good (although there is certainly some crap available too) XBLA has pretty much defined the service that the Playstation Store and Virtual Console currently offer…

Anyway…with all due respect to the PS3′s potential…it hasn’t been met yet. Maybe in ’09, but I think ’08 wasn’t a good year for the PS3 imo.

With that being said…Can we get a Gears of War 2 DLB gaming event? Stop acting like Gears 2 doesn’t go hard! LOL

31. Psych0bunni3s

12 / 18 / 2008 12:01 pm

I’m feeling pretty much everything on this list expect for the fact that LBP is placed under the “flop” section and R2 isn’t under game of the year. (But then again I can see in somewhat ways why it isn’t) Anyhoo, I can’t wait to hear you guys reasons and explanations on that as well as the rest of the list. I hope it is hella long and on the blog during christmas so I can tune out everyone at the table =]

32. IndoAssassin

12 / 18 / 2008 8:00 pm

@A Big Shot

I’m curious to hear how the 360 brought innovations this year to gaming. All their games were sequels. Netflix was already offering a downloadable service. All M$ did was put that service into their console which did not require any innovation on their part to accomplish only money. Also a better looking dashboard is not innovation that is just more convenience brought to the consumer. Although it did require them to think outside the box of money that they think with to come up with something more convenient. I can’t think of anything that M$ did that brought innovation to gaming. So I would love to hear it.

33. The_Gentlemen

12 / 18 / 2008 11:21 pm

[riffly_audio]65B6DEE4CD9611DD9EBC601D86C451F0[/riffly_audio]

34. smokewitme

12 / 19 / 2008 12:55 am

@ A Big Shot & IndoAssassin

Well, what has sony done thats so innovative this year?

I’m actually going to disagree with both of you(ABigshot and IndoAssassin), and risk losing the small amount of respect I might have obtained with both of you and say the Wii is really the most innovative. Wii fit is a giant leap forward in gaming, and the potential is there for both MS and Sony, to build on what Nintendo has done. Sony and MS are just having a pissing contest with their fly’s up.

35. A Big Shot

12 / 19 / 2008 10:42 am

@ IndoAssassin & smokewitme

Well, definitely used the term innovations loosely…

look basically what smokewitme had to say was absolutely true. Wii killed shit beyond a shadow of a doubt…out sold PS3 10x over this November and almost 2.5x for the 360. It has got gamers from 8 – 80 on their console…there’s no denying that.

BUT

really, I’m speaking to the gamers who’s Wii’s are collecting dust…

Sequels or not, exclusives sold better by ridiculous margins…and you miss one simple fact, Sony has money too! Tons of it maybe as much, if not more than MS?!?!?! So the Netflix thing, I’d go out on a lib and say that it was a mutual agreement between the two, cause I’m sure Netflix looked at the install base and decided to go with the console that is continuing to move units at a higher rate…they woulda chose Wii if it were possible lol.

People really need to let the money thing go…cause Sony can afford anything Microsoft can…will they spend the $? That’s another question…

I don’t really speak for Microsoft all I know is at the moment (2008)

360 consoles sold better
    360 games sold better (multiplatform/exclusive)

360 overall is a better presented gaming/entertainment offering imo…it’s easier to communicate and organize games online.

But regardless…if we were being fair Nintendo killed everyone…

36. A Big Shot

12 / 19 / 2008 10:44 am

@ Smokewitme

right now Microsoft is pissing with their fly half open at least…that was my point…kinda :-\

37. IndoAssassin

12 / 19 / 2008 3:42 pm

Ok I get your point. The 360 was the console of the year because their games and consoles sold more. But really the only companies who moved GAMING forward not this home all-in-one console stuff was SONY and NINTENDO. Sony with LBP, Digital Distribution of full games (Ratchet & Clank, Burnout Paradise, and Socom) and Nintendo with all their innovative peripherals.

It’s an unfortunate day in gaming when gamers are celebrating the fact that sequels are killing new apps. By naming M$ the console of the year that is what you are supporting. But that is just my opinion.

38. smokewitme